MSc/PhD Program


The current list of frequently asked questions (FAQ) will be updated and expanded upon request.

Transcripts / Records of Study

Academic transcripts are records of your academic qualifications. If your university does not issue official transcripts, prepare a list of all lectures, seminars, courses etc. you attended (listed for each semester). Add confirmation of your participation in the courses, signed either by the supervisor of the respective course or by an official of your university (for example the dean's or registrar's office).

Certified versus regular copies

Certified copies are xerox copies of your original documents bearing a signature and stamp or seal which indicates that the copy is identical to the original document. Certified copies can be issued, for example by the dean's or registrar's office of your university, the German Embassy, or a public notary. Please notice that submission of certified copies is NOT required for application but only upon admission to the program.

Regular copies are xerox copies of your original documents without additional certification that the copy is identical with the original document. Regular copies are acceptable for the first round of evaluation of your application. Applicants will be asked for certification of relevant documents upon admission to the program.

English proficiency

No proof of English proficiency by an English test is required for applicants

Applicants who have been taught the majority of their courses (college or university) in English do not need to submit results from a standardized test such as TOEFL, IELTS, APIEL, or CPE. However, it is recommended that they attach an official statement (signed by an official of the college or university, e.g. the dean's or registrar's office) which indicates that English was the medium of instruction.

For all other applicants it is recommended that they submit proof of their English proficiency. This can be done by submitting the results of a standardized test such as TOEFL, IELTS, APIEL, or CPE. Participation in such a test is recommended but not mandatory. If possible, submit the test results together with your application before the deadline. If you receive the results of the language test after the application deadline, we recommend to submit it only if you have qualified for the written subject test organized by the programs.

Please note that your application benefits from the submission of an excellent score in an English language test. However, the application procedure allows students the option of participating in subject tests or interviews without proof of English proficiency. In this case, successful candidates can be admitted to the program based on the demonstration of language skills in the interviews.

Diploma issued after the deadline

In case you will receive a higher diploma after the application deadline, you should submit the certification of your latest degree and a copy of your latest transcript. If you have not yet obtained a degree, please indicate the date when you expect it to be conferred. If your college/ university does not award a Bachelor's degree for a particular course of study, a minimum of six semesters of academic education is required. In this case you may apply to the coordination office to have your education accepted as the equivalent of a Bachelor's degree.

Candidates who have been accepted to the program need to submit their diploma (or a transcript indicating that the Bachelor's degree has been conferred) before courses start in October. Otherwise, enrollment at the University of Göttingen will not be possible.